Monday, May 2, 2011

Moral of the Story - Listen to your Mommy

So... this afternoon we went as a family in the minivan to Luke's baseball game. When I pulled in to the parking lot most of the spots were full, so I decided to parallel park next to the fence next to the big kids field. There were lots of spots open there and it was close to Luke's tee-ball field. As I turned off the car, Sarah pointed out a sign hung on the fence next to the car which read, "Caution, Foul Ball Area, Park at your own risk." I smiled while waving away the crazy notion of being in danger and said, "It'll be fine. Let's get to Luke's game." Not to be quieted that easily Sarah mentioned, "Don't forget, this is my car. I like my car." I smiled again, nodded, and got out of the car.

I then opened the rear sliding door and helped Luke and Leona unbuckle (I can't believe they still can't do it by themselves, but that's a whole different story). As I stepped away from the van something smacked me in the face, hard. Stunned, I grabbed my mouth and bent over. I could hear kids in the field saying, "Whoa..., that ball just hit that guy in the face." Sarah was on the other side of the car inspecting the windshields for damage...just kidding, she was actually trying to find out from Luke what had happened. His answer was, "A ball came over the fence, whoosh, and boing daddy in the face."

By this time I had regained some composure and stood up. My mouth was bleeding but I was worried about the kids and the parents asking if I was okay. Someone also said, "I wouldn't park there..." Why didn't someone warn me before the freak zombie ball went loose and relentlessly attacked me. Shoot.

I said I was fine and walked to the other side of the car with more than just a damaged ego. I checked myself in the mirror and pulled some loose skin off my lip before grabbing a napkin from the glove box. Just in case anyone was wondering, I stopped that baseball dead in it's tracks.

To make a long story short...I parked the car in the foul ball zone, even after being warned, and wouldn't you know it there came a foul ball over the fence and bounced off the edge of the side window. I have a nice fat lip and some bloody napkins to show for it. However, tt could have been a lot worse, broken nose or teeth, or even one of the kids could have been hit. So, rather me than them.

But Moral of the Story is: Kids, Listen to your Mommy.

3 comments:

  1. Well, I'm glad you're not dead, I hope your swelling goes down, and I'm sorry you had to learn to listen to Sarah in such a painful way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are so many ways this story could be used to teach a Sunday School lesson, I love it! Sorry about the ball in the face but glad you're ok Thom. I think this could also be titled "Listen to your wife" lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the listen to the Wife and Mother are great. I will start thinking of a list to send everyone. Love MOM/WIFE

    ReplyDelete