Monday, May 21, 2012

Sunshine

Today I went out in the backyard to de-weed, but before I went out I put sunblock on. I put it on my face, my ears, my neck, my chest, my arms, the small of my back that occasionally peaks out, and my legs. I even reapplied.  Why did I rub this slimey stuff all over me? Not because I thought I was going to burn, because even if I did it would quickly turn to a tan.  I did it because I love my husband, my daughter, and all of you.

I know this may seem a really weird/or random post, but I have been thinking about President Buskirk a lot recently.  He was our branch president in our singles branch here in San Jose.  He was by far one of the most amazing leaders I have ever had.  He had fun with us, he enjoyed our company, and he was so in tune with the spirit. He was in his early seventies.  One evening he called a branch meeting, he had us call everyone and urge them all to attend.  We had no idea what the meeting was about.  When we got there he told us all that he had been diagnosed with skin cancer, that his treatment was going to be intense, that he was going to stay in his calling as long as possible, and that his diagnoses was likely terminal.

We watched him go through very aggressive treatments.  We watched our lively, energetic leader become frail and weak. Less than a year later he was released from his calling.  About a year after that he was gone.  Two years. 

Maybe I'm thinking about him because we're back in San Jose.  Maybe it's because it is so sunny outside.  Maybe it's because I'm a mom now.  I don't know, but I felt it was really important for me to write this post to all of you to remind you how very important sunblock and baseball caps are.

1 comment: